When I tell people that I bike to work from Cubao to Makati and back, most often their reaction is “OMG, isn’t that dangerous, you might get hit by the buses along EDSA!” It seems that not many people know the alternate route via Mandaluyong. I would say that this is generally a bike-friendly route, there being very few public utility vehicles. And so, inspired by iwant2bike2work.org, here is the route map:
Starting point: N. Domingo corner Aurora Boulevard (near Betty Go-Belmonte station of LRT2)
- Go straight along N. Domingo St.
- Turn left at St. John
- Turn right at Hilltop St.
- Turn left at Horseshoe Drive (be forewarned of steep hill at the end)
- Turn right at Santolan Avenue
- Cross Ortigas Avenue
- Turn left at Jose Abad Santos St.
- Turn left to P. Guevara St.
- Turn right at Shaw Boulevard
- Turn left at Martinez St. (lots of pedestrians!)
- Turn right to Maysilo rotonda
- Turn right to San Francisco St. (second intersection)
- Turn left at Coronado st.
- Turn left and up the Makati-Mandaluyong bridge
- Go straight along Makati avenue into Makati CBD
- Park in a safe place!
Total distance: 9.5 kms ; Total time: around 40 minutes